- 2 lbs carolina rice
- 1 1/2 qts water (6 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 sticks butter
- 5-6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated romano cheese
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
Flour, egg, and breadcrumbs for coating rice balls.
Oil for deep frying rice balls.
- In a large saucepot, bring water & rice to a boil.
- Over low heat cook until water is evaporated.
- Add milk, butter, beaten eggs, cheese, and cook, stirring, until rice is very thick & pasty.
- Transfer to a flat pan and cool overnight.
- (Cooking and thickening may take up to an hour)
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add tomato sauce and mix well.
- Place a mound of rice in the palm of your hand and make a well with the back of a spoon.
- Fill with a spoonful of meat mixture.
- Cover with another mound of rice and shape into a ball (like making a snowball).
- Continue shaping rice into balls.
- Roll each ball into flour, dip in egg, and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in oil over med-high heat until golden brown.
- Makes about 35 rice balls.