- Butter, for greasing dish
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (packed) grated Fontina
- 3/4 cup (packed) finely grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup (packed) grated mozzarella
- 4 ounces cooked ham, diced, optional
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain well, but do not rinse.
- Whisk the cream, milk, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend. Stir in 1 cup Fontina, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella, ham, if using, and parsley. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
- Transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the remaining 1 cup Fontina, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup mozzarella in a small bowl to blend.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the noodle mixture.
- Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown on top, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.